- Introduction to the workshop
Let's get started! - Handout
- See the Big Picture
Prepare for an effective reading block
Utilize the three types of instruction
- Start the First Station
Establish routines (continued) | Launch the Reading Block booklet | Start the first station
Create a classroom Library
Identify expectations (continued)
Practice procedures (continued)
- Add the Second Station
Introduce partnered fluency work
Practice partner fluency
Practice partner fluency (continued) | Manage transitions
- Plan Additional Stations
Introduce word-work games
Introduce word-work games (continued) | Work on words
Incorporate a Listening Station | Write about the reading
- Put it All Together
Shift from procedure to practice
This video is still being processed. Please check back later.
An Introduction to Literacy Stations
This powerful workshop is designed to help K-5 teachers create a plan for launching and leading literacy stations during the daily reading block. Before students can be academically engaged in literacy stations, they first need to understand their own roles and responsibilities during independent learning time. This workshop will start with strategies for setting expectations, building routines, and creating procedures at the beginning of the school year. Participants will receive a day-by-day plan for starting this process beginning with the first week of school.
- Learn how the five components of reading can be supported with literacy stations.
- Recognize how literacy stations can be used to address grade-level specific standards.
- Gain ideas for planning purposeful, achievement-driven station activities.
- Boost students' comprehension of literature and informational texts with listening stations.
- Learn how to establish routines that foster independence in all K-5 students.
- Discover how to grow students' stamina for working independently.
- Determine how to assign letter grades to work completed in literacy stations.
When you complete the workshop, you'll be able to:
- Use anchor charts to effectively teach and remind students of procedural expectation.
- Utilize existing classroom materials to set up and implement engaging literacy stations.
- Teach students to efficiently transition from one activity to another.
- Organize a classroom library for K-5 students that encourages reading based on interests.
- Engage students in hands-on word-study stations that build skills in phonemic awareness, phonics, and vocabulary.
- Begin the school year with your own 6-week "game plan" for launching literacy stations.
Top questions teachers ask about introducing literacy stations:
- When should I start conducting literacy stations?
- How do I know what kind of literacy station activities to plan?
- How do I find space in my classroom for literacy stations?
- How much time should students spend at literacy stations?
- How long will it take before students are able to work in stations independently?
- How can I create engaging activities which are also easy to prepare?
- What is my role while students are engaged in literacy stations?
Kristi McCullough provides the answers to these questions and many more!
What others say about Kristi's workshops
"The workshop was packed with ideas. Kristi's personality and energy were fun! You could see her passion for reading the way she presented!" Karly Douglas, Teacher, Heywood Elementary School, Troy, OH
"Every idea was thought-provoking. She really made me think of how/why I do routines the way I do in my classroom." Glenda Ferguson, Teacher, Burris Elementary, Mitchell, IN
"Kristi is a high-energy presenter who gives real examples. She does not present in isolation but shows real living examples of practices she uses as she is teaching." Maureen Hoffman-Wehmeier, Teacher, Greenwood Middle School, Greenwood, IN
"Kristi is a completely engaging presenter. It is apparent that she used and honed masterful teaching practices in her own classroom. This was a completely practical and immediately applicable workshop presentation." Kyle Bush, Principal, Early Childhood Center, Loveland City School District, Loveland, OH
"Kristi was wonderful! The small-group setting really made the objectives that much better and easier to grasp. All three strategies are very powerful, and I can't wait to implement them into my classroom ASAP." Nancy Packovski, Teacher, Meister Elementary School, Hobart, IN
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the workshop start and finish?
The workshop can begin at any time.
How long do I have access to the workshop?
After enrollment, students have access to the content for 30 days. You determine how fast or slow you want to progress through the workshop during this time.
Can I share my workshop with colleagues?
Can I get continuing education credits?
Most likely! With prior approval from your school district, participants may receive credit for up to 5 hours of professional development for each workshop. A certificate of completion is available when you select the "Verified View." No certificate is awarded when you select the "Flexible View." For possible Illinois-approved credit, please contact our office.
Can I earn graduate-level credit?
Thanks to a partnership with the University of the Pacific, educators who complete a webAcademy workshop are eligible to pursue one, two, or three nationally-accredited graduate-level semester credits. To earn graduate-level credit, participants must select the "Verified View" enrollment option. The cost of graduate-level credit ($62 per credit) is separate from the cost of the online workshop.
Graduate-level credits offered through the University of the Pacific are non-degree credits which are designed for professional certification renewals and salary step increases. (These are post-baccalaureate professional development semester units of non-degree graduate-level credit and are not applicable to a degree at University of the Pacific.) For details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (888) 376-0448.
What if I am unhappy with the workshop?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are not satisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 10 days, and we will give you a full refund.