- Introduction to the workshop
Let's get started! - Handout
- Yearlong Vision
First 2-6 Weeks
Rest of the Year
Synthesis & Implementation
- Anchor Standards
Understand the expectations
Dissecting the learning standards
Recognized the embedded comprehension strategies
Embedded comprehension strategies, cont.
Identify the subskills
Target 7-12 comprehension skills
Target 7-12 comprehension skills, cont.
- The Spiral Approach
Layer instruction intentionally
Recognize comprehension strategies are not equal
Teach a skill across the year
Increase independence & decrease support
Utilize Think, Ink, Pair, Square
Plot a weekly focus
Plot a weekly focus, cont.
Comprehension skill scaffold
Comprehension skill scaffold, cont.
Synthesis & Implementation
- Text Selection
Teach reading, not texts
Choose texts for the study level
Synthesis & Implementation
Identify texts for each level of the instructional scaffold
- The First Weeks
Address 3 components
Offer additional tools and strategies to notice and note ideas
Define the range of reading
Introduce close-reading framework
Define readers as thinkers
- Conclusion - Wrap-up
Developing A Reading Road Map for Teaching Comprehension
Students at every level need explicit, ongoing instruction that builds their comprehension skills. This type of standards-driven teaching is intended to equip students with the ability to analyze and understand all types of texts. In this powerful workshop, you'll learn to layer skills to develop readers who can track and summarize key details, visualize and question author craft, and connect and synthesize bigger ideas.
- Introduce the various scenarios readers will encounter—familiar v. unique formats, short v. long texts, easy v. hard reading, collaborative v. independent experiences, etc.
- Dissect the College and Career-Ready Reading Standards to identify the six core comprehension strategies readers must employ.
- Recognize a scaffold of mini-lessons subskills that must be explicitly taught.
- Study a yearlong calendar that begins with initial learning from simple texts and gives way to independent deep thinking of more complex texts.
- Select texts/passages best suited for comprehension instruction.
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of traditional curriculum assessments.
When you complete the workshop, you'll be able to:
- Effectively introduce the concepts of inferential thinking, text annotation, close reading, and on-screen reading in kid-friendly ways.
- Weave on-screen and paper-based reading experiences into the curriculum.
- Focus classroom time on strategy/skill instruction, rather than passage/novel understanding.
- Pair appropriate texts with whole-class comprehension instruction.
- Identify assessments that truly measure students' level of mastery of a particular comprehension skill/strategy.
Top Questions Teachers Ask About Comprehension Mini-Lessons:
- How do I honor my curriculum map or reading textbook series and still be responsive to student needs relative to comprehension?
- How do I prioritize my comprehension mini-lessons over the course of the year?
- How can I scaffold my comprehension mini-lessons so that the skills taught build on prior knowledge?
- What kinds of texts and materials can I use to enhance my comprehension mini-lessons?
- What principles should I use to guide my planning of comprehension mini-lessons?
- How can I make my comprehension mini-lessons more effective?
- What kinds of reading tasks should I have students do following the mini-lessons?
Kristina provides the answers to these questions and many more!
What teachers say about this workshop
“This is earth shaking info that is going to help us transform our elementary teaching!” Nekita Johnson, instructional coach at Mercer County Intermediate School, Harrodsburg, KY
“This workshop helps me to support my teachers better in their effort to increase student learning!” Katheryn King, principal, Watersprings School, Idaho Falls, ID
"Loved all of the samples and hands-on tools! Very practical and usable information. Excited to begin implementing comprehension strategies!" Monica Allison, principal, Indiana Elementary, Christian Academy School System, New Albany, IN
"I'm so excited to share what I learned with my team! I've never been shown how to look at the standards like I was taught today. It was an 'Aha' moment and everything came together and makes sense!" Heather Shively, teacher at Valley Elementary School, Beavercreek, OH
"Very informative, practical, and relevant! Kristina is the most efficient and entertaining presenter I've ever seen!" Krystal Morrow, principal at Christian Academy of Louisville-Rock Creek Campus, Louisville, KY
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the workshop start and finish?
The workshop can begin at any time.
How long do I have access to the workshop?
After enrollment, you have access to the content for 30 days. You determine how fast or slow you want to progress through the workshop during this time.
Can I share my workshop with colleagues?
Can I get continuing education credits?
Most likely! With prior approval from your school district, participants may receive credit for up to 5 hours of professional development for each workshop. A certificate of completion is available when you select the "Verified View." No certificate is awarded when you select the "Flexible View." For possible Illinois-approved credit, please contact our office.
Can I earn graduate-level credit?
Thanks to a partnership with the University of the Pacific, educators who enroll in a webAcademy workshop can earn 1, 2, or 3 graduate-level credits. (To earn graduate-level credit, participants must select the "Verified View" enrollment option. Graduate-level credit cost is separate from registration fees. Credits are $62 each.)
Graduate-level credits offered through the University of the Pacific are non-degree credits which are designed for professional certification renewals and salary step increases. Contact Brady Smekens, Director of Professional Development, for details, firstname.lastname@example.org (888) 376-0448.
What if I am unhappy with the workshop?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are not satisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 10 days, and we will give you a full refund.