Teaching Writing Skills All Year Long
LESSONS ORGANIZED BY UNIT
Click on “Lessons” headers below for mini-lesson resources organized by unit.
- Teach convention skills in context by tying the purpose of the convention to the mode of writing.
K-2 Conventions | Grades 3-12 Conventions
- Download 10 common purposes conventions serve or purchase a grade-level scaffold of purposes according to the standards.
THE DIFFERENT GENRES OF ARGUMENT
- Argumentative v. Persuasive Writing
- Advance students from opinion to persuasive to argumentative
- Persuasive letters lead to argumentative writing
- Evaluate 4 factors in argument analysis
- Infer perspective with TV commercials
- Create bumper stickers
- Things wrong with the world (Rules to change, Problems to fix, Favors to ask, Suggestions to make)
- Confirm or contradict a Snapple fact
- Write critiques based on 5 big questions